The UGC NET exam is held twice every year and includes 82 subjects. Until the year 2018, the exam was being conducted by the CBSE or the Central Board For Secondary Education, however, it was taken over after that by the National Testing Agency or the NTA.
The Universities Grants Commission, a central body that grants accreditation and recognition to universities across the country, organizes the UGC NET each year. The NET or the National Eligibility Test is a benchmark that has been set for employment as an Assistant Professor or Junior Professor at the university level.
To prepare for an exam like the UGC NET, there are many things that a candidate must know, of which the syllabus is the most critical. However, it is essential to understand more about the exam pattern before jumping into the UGC NET Syllabus and preparation tips.
The NET exam is a 180-minute, computer-based exam that consists of Multiple Choice Questions. Paper 1 consists of 50 questions and is for 100 marks, whereas, Paper 2 contains 100 questions worth 200 marks. The Medium of the exam is either Hindi or English, based on the candidate’s personal preference. This test is conducted in over 500 cities across the country. A list of eligibility criteria can be found online for candidates interested in applying.
What is the NET exam syllabus?
The big question now is, what is the syllabus for this prestigious exam?
Paper 1 includes a number of topics such as Reasoning, Communication, Teaching Ability, Research Ability, Comprehension, Environment and Development, Numerical Aptitude, IT, etc.
Paper 2 consists of questions based on the subject chosen by the candidate. The subject can be chosen at the time of application for the exam.
How To Prepare For The UGC NET Exam?
The NET can seem like quite a difficult task when you look at it from the untrained eye, however, with the correct steps taken for preparation, you should be able to work your way through it. Below are some tips to help you prepare better for this exam:
- Understand the exam pattern- First and foremost, it is vital for a candidate to understand the pattern in which the exam is held. This will also be of use when a candidate fills out the application form and has to decide what subject to choose for the second paper. The candidate should be mentally prepared for what to expect during the exam.
- Know the syllabus- The second most key thing for a candidate to do is to know the syllabus through and through. Once the syllabus is made amply clear to the candidate, they can begin to figure out how to tackle the task at hand.
- Organize yourself- Before jumping into the preparation for the NET exam, take stock of everything that you need. Organize your books and resources, make sure you know where to practice mock tests, etc. BYJU’s exam prep is one great source for such material and information. With the help of their mentors, you may be able to gain much insight into the NET exam.
- Make a schedule- Sit and make a thorough schedule for your studies. Plan your days, because a day that is not planned, may as well be wasted. Study different topics throughout the day to keep from getting bored.
- Revise- Go back to topics and revise them from time to time. Nothing can compare to a thorough revision when preparing for such a competitive exam.
- Practice Mock Tests and Previous Year’s Papers- Solve as many papers as you can. You will be surprised at how much insight you gain into the patterns that these papers follow. Once you figure out the patterns, you should be able to guess pretty accurately the topics that you need to focus on.
The UGC NET exam is definitely a tough one, but one that is also worth it. By giving this exam you will have access to some pretty nice jobs as Assistant professor or Junior professor in some of the top universities and colleges in the country. Stay focussed on your goal and be consistent.